India with a second largest population of 1.1 Bn has just 6% of Indians connected via the internet. USA is ranked 28th in the world in connection speeds with a speed of 5 .1 Mbps while India is still struggling with 256 kbps as broadband and adding to the woes of consumers is the il-legal Fair Usage Policy introduced by market players like Airtel and Tata Indicom / Photon+.
It has been clearly evident that adoption of Internet can accelerate business productivity, thereby generating income, jobs and government revenues in emerging economies. The key steps that can help spur the growth of internet in India are,
- Recognize data networks and Internet as critical national infrastructure
- Encourage investments in growth & penetration by promoting both ISPs & telcos
- Use national resources to accelerate penetration: copper wire, spectrum
- Be technology agnostic for multiple forms of connectivity
- Promote proliferation of access devices to suit budgets and user needs