Last month, IAMAI released a report on how the Indian consumer is using the Internet and Broadband. Here is another study by TRAI [PDF] which reveals the latest statistics of the state or Internet and Broadband in India at the end of June-06.
- India has 7.7 Million internet subscribers.
- 20% of internet subscribers have broadband [atleast 256KBPs connection] i.e 1.5 Million broadband subscribers
- The annual growth rate of Internet subscribers is 25%.
- Between 2005 and 2006, Broadband subscribers growth was 637%. Reliance Broadband doesn’t want to aggressively expand in the consumer broadband space, while our IT minister has promised major milestones in 2007 in the broadband space.
- Under unlimited broadband plans in India, BSNL is the cheapest and MTNL is the most expensive.
- Top 5 ISPS account have a combined market share of 86% with BSNL having a whopping 43%, followed by MTNL 19%, Sify 12%, VSNL 6% and Bharti Tele-ventures Ltd 6%.